Duration: 21 days
Designed for: 17- 35 Years old (Applicable for Singaporeans only)
Location: Pulau Ubin, Singapore and its neighbouring islands
The 21-day Classic Course is targeted at youths in the 17-35 age group. It is a physical and mentally demanding course with a wide variety of activities and challenges designed to help young people realize their true potential.
2. This is a classic 21-Day Outward Bound course using the rustic natural environment of Pulau Ubin and the surrounding islands of Singapore as the classroom. The course is based on a multi-element and multi-expedition concept where participants journey on several extended expeditions that keep them on the move. It aims to develop:
• Physical and mental ruggedness.
3. The programme introduces progressive challenges in the activities to continually stretch the participants both physically and mentally. The course is divided into 6 phases. They are as follows:
1. Preparation & Goal Setting (4 days)
The objectives of this phase are to :
• Introduce individuals to the Outward Bound experiential learning process.
• Allow individuals to develop better self awareness and confidence.
• Allow individuals to set personal goals and align course expectations.
• Allow the group to form and set group goals.
The activities for this phase consist of :
• Physical conditioning sessions.
• Outdoor skills training sessions (such as belaying, kayaking, low-impact camping, etc.)
• High impact confidence-building and commitment activities (such as Ropes Confidence Course, High Wild Woosey, Flying Fox, etc.)
• Initiative and problem-solving activities.
2. Land/ Avon Expedition (3 days)
The objectives of the Land Expedition are to:
• Allow individuals to participate in leadership, decision-making and planning roles.
• Understand how an effective leader inspires and motivates others to achieve team goals.
• Understand the key factors that contribute to effective problem solving and crisis management as a team.
The activities for the Land expedition consist of:
• Crisis situation scenarios. Orienteering exercise in different parts of Pulau Ubin.
• Improvised Avon dingy paddling.
• Improvised rafting building project.
3. Sailing Expedition (3 days)
The objectives for the Sailing Expedition are to:
• Allow individuals to refine the skills tested in the previous phase and to reinforce the learning.
• Allow individuals and the group to develop sense of commitment and perseverance in achieving to personal and group goals.
• Allow the group to develop better communication skills and teamwork.
The group is required to learn to sail and manage a Cutter (30-foot sail boat) under variable weather and sea conditions. The group will sail the Cutter to two specified destinations along the coastal waters of Singapore.
4. Community Service (1 day)
The objectives of community service are to:
• Extend service to others beyond the group to a community (macro) level.
• Create awareness on social or environmental issues.
5. Solo (3 days)
The objectives of solo are to allow individuals t:
• Reflect on their personal goals and achievements for the course.
• Rest and recuperate for the final expedition challenge.
• Renew goals for the remainder of the course.
Solo is a unique feature in Outward Bound. It provides individuals with 3 days and nights of solitude. They are given only basics like food, water and shelter so that they will not be distracted by other non-essential needs, and be fully immersed in reflection and contemplation.
6. Final Expedition (5 days)
The final expedition requires the group to plan, organise and executive a kayaking expedition to unfamiliar waters around the island of Singapore. It is culmination of their lesson learnt and a test of their mental and physical ruggedness.
The objectives of the final expedition are to:
• Provide a final challenge for individuals to take on roles in leadership, planning, decision-making and management of the expedition.
• Provide a final test for the group to perform as an effective team, and to develop compassion for others in achieving the group goal.